what filter do you need for your furnace?

« Back to Home

The Three Aspects To Electrical Furnace Installation

Posted on

If you are in the market for a new furnace, then you may be wondering how electric furnaces get installed. If so, look no further - here's how.

Professionals Do The Work

HVAC contractors and other professionals do the furnace installation because it is typically too complicated and dangerous for the average person to do. Even for modern-day electric furnaces that seem easy to install, it can be easy to cut yourself or damage the furnace in the process. If the furnace gets damaged, carbon monoxide can leak from the heating coils, and flame rollout can occur as well. Plus, electrical furnaces bring the added danger of electric shocks. Once you have your furnace chosen, you'll have a professional do the majority of the work.

Electric Furnace Choices

Electric furnaces may work in ways that are all very similar to each other, with electricity providing the power to heating coils that then heat the room and household. However, they are not all made the same. One of the major ways that electrical furnaces differ from one another is the efficiency rating or the AFUE. AFUE, which stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency, is a measure of the percentage of heat produced by the furnace that actually heats the home. For example, an AFUE rating of 80 means that 80% of the heat produced heats the home, and the other 20% is lost. The higher the AFUE rating, the more efficient your chosen furnace is, and the more savings you have in the long run, as you won't need as much energy to heat your home.


The electrical furnace installation process is deceptively simple. You need a safe place for the furnace to radiate heat, a way to connect it to your electric utility line, and a way to transfer the heat to multiple rooms. Again, this should be done by heating professionals who know how to do this safely. Electrical furnaces are frequently set on the ground in a basement given their size and then connected to a socket that can handle the voltage required. The exterior typically needs to be insulated, and ductwork is attached to where hot air is produced. However, this can all be difficult if you don't have the right sockets, the right space, the ability to move the furnace, insulation, or the know-how to attach and manage ductwork.

Electrical furnace installation involves finding the right furnace for your home, finding the right area for the furnace, and letting a professional do the work. To learn more information about furnace installation, reach out to a company such as Beyer Heating.